Saturday, June 09, 2012

CSA: The First Box

Wow... that looks great. How do I cook all this?

I picked up my very first CSA box (from LotFotl) on Thursday May 31th 2012. My pickup spot is the  Sweet Water Organic's Warehouse from 4pm- 7pm. If nothing else you should go to Sweet Water just to be inspired as a gardener and see the cool engineering they created for their urban farm.



The first box includes the following contents
  • Lettuce, butterhead
  • Lettuce, romaine
  • Spinach
  • 10 Hakurei Turnips
  • 10 Radish
  • 5 Shallots
  • 15 Asparagus
  • 1 bunch scallions

As a newbie to CSAs I went with the small potions this year. (Learn more about CSAs here) For me the choice was the "Every Other Week" (EOW) Gonzo Box share for $375 . In addition I added EOW Egg share for an additional $45. Here is the break down of what I get for the price:

375(Full EOW) + 45 (Eggs EOW) = $420 for 26 weeks.
$420 / 26 weeks = $32.32 / 2 weeks =  $16.16 / week

We get the following in each box (depending what is in season at the time):
  • 3 Green peppers
  • 1 bunch scallions
  • 8 oz. Spinach
  • 1-2 eggplants
  • 1.5# rose finn apple fingerling potatoes
  • 3 large onions
  • 1-2 red cabbage
  • 3 heads broccoli
  • 4-6 shallots
  • 1 bunch scorzonera
  • 1# tomatillos
  • 12 eggs



No comments:

Post a Comment